Monday, January 28, 2008

-48 Brrrrr, that's -54 fahrenheit

Those were the words I woke up to this morning "It's -48 winchill out there, make sure to bundle up". A freak winter storm hit my fair city this weekend. Saturday was plus temperatures, Sunday am was -10, by the afternoon it was -20. We had an overnight temp of -30 which resulted in the bitterly cold windchill this morning.

I wore two pairs of socks (one dress and one wool), my Columbia bugaboo boots (good for -35), my MEC thermal tights and MEC fleece zip pants over top, my long sleeved micro fleece shirt that covers my butt, my 3 in 1 Columbia windproof winter jacket, my neck gaitor up to my lower lashes, my toque pulled down to my upper eyelashes and my hood of my jacket over top. I could still feel a bit of a chill but other than that it wasn't so bad. Luckily our cold is a dry cold so you just have to bundle up, it's not a damp cold that seeps into your bones. Work clothes were packed into my backpack.

Now this is the funny part, it's supposed to be -3 on Thursday. Yes that's a 45 degree differance. We are a strong people :)

I tried to hook up the dvd player to my tv in the basement and it's not going so well. It appears that the tv is too old. My Dad has an extra newer one that he's offered me. In the meantime I might try rooting through the VCR.

Workout wise: since Saturday was so nice I went for a 5K walk outside. Sunday resulted in a lot of house cleaning. Tonight I need to make some flowers for my final cake so they can dry by Thursday and I think I'll try one of my new Yoga dvds. I got two by Rodney Yee, one is about flexibility and the other strength training.

So far Wendi plan is going well, of course the SHD (super high day) is too much fun and I did well on Sunday sticking to my 24pts, today is 28 and going well.

If it does warm up to the low minuses by Thursday, I'll head back to the gym on Thursday on Friday. No way am I going to the gym in this weather as skin can freeze in minutes. I'm not waiting for a bus that may or may not come. Getting home today from work shall be interesting enough.

Have a groovy day everybody and if you're in Alberta - Stay Warm!

3 comments:

Fatinah said...

my feet have been freezing all day just knowing how cold it is out there. I had to fill up with gas - I could only stand it out there long enough to get $20 into the tank - and I thought my fingers might fall off at that!!

Diane Mandy said...

Ok, I'm never going to complain about the German winter again. Your making me cold just reading this post.

jeannie* said...

You are a better person than I am. Yesterday it was 30 degrees F when I went to start my car and I was all cranky about it. Living in the south has certainly spoiled me! Hang in there!