Saturday, January 31, 2009

Each day is a gift and not a given right

Yet again the lyrics of Nickelback have struck a chord with me. The title is a line from "If Today Was Your Last Day" off their new CD Dark Horse.



Other lines I like: "Let nothing stand in your way because the hands of time are never on your side" and "What's worth the price is always worth the fight" and "Don't take the free ride in your own life"



This just got me thinking about all kinds of stuff lately. Globally: The news declaring depression and recession constantly. Locally: Apparently two people were shot at a bus stop where I frequently catch the bus. Personally: Why is it so damn hard to eat perfectly every day and exercise all the time.



This is not blah post, this more about taking stock of your life and realizing (in my case anyway) how freakin' blessed I am. I have a roof over my head, heat, water, food, people who love me, a fantastic city, province and country. Find joy in the little things and keep your life moving forward is my mantra from now on.



Alright back to your regularly scheduled post: The Black Forest Cake went over really, really well it was the star of the potluck. I was told by many that it was the best black forest cake they ever had. My camera was dead so I couldn't take a picture for you. I suspect I will now be requested to bring baked goods to pot lucks.



Killer workout on Thursday. Not sure if it was because too much food at the pot luck but I thought I was going to toss my cookies. Now pot luck was a noon and workout was at 5pm. Now I know how the biggest loser contestants feel.



Alright so trainer had me do this:

The Warm UP

Then:

25 Squats

20 Push Ups

15 Dumbell Swings 15lbs

10 Dumbell Thrusters (with a 10lb dumbell in each hand)

5 Burpees



I had to do as many sequences of this I could in 20min.



I did 4 in 22min and it was tough all the way through. I had sweat in my eyes and felt nausesous through half of it. But dang it I did it. That's 100 squats my friends. I am Xena Warrior Princess.



He wants we to do this again in one month to see if I can increase the number of sequences.



Doing the thrusters with two dumbells is way harder than using the longer 20lb one. You can definitely tell that your arms are not equally strong.



I was down 1 lb today which is alright. I didn't get all my workouts in but this week there are no trips and no cakes to be made so it will be better.



Trainer also gave me a food plan, well more a list of foods to eat over the next two weeks. I think it's based on The Zone. He's not claiming to be a nutritionist and when I looked at the list it was all common sense and incredibly like the filling food list of WW. I use it as my grocery list for the next two weeks and see what happens.

Alright I have to go put clothes in the dryer. I'll talk to you later.

Hugs!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

The lyrics of Nickelback songs often strike me. They are by far my favorite group - and I get to see them in Detroit at the end of the month!!! :)

WTG with your awesome workout also - YAY!!!