Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Yard work season begins


I did clean out my flower beds yesterday and it looks way better than the sad carnage of dead plants that was there before. The perennials are showing green and the peonies are starting to sprout out of the ground. Even the rhubarb in my backyard which I tend to ignore is coming up (this year I'll definitely have to use the rhubarb). Isn't spring grand?

As I was putting gardening stuff away in the shed I started to put together a mental list of all that should be done. I definitely need to rake, I'm pretty good about the front lawn but this spring/summer I need to give some love to my back lawn. I need to paint the inside of the fence as outside was painted last summer. I think I'll do that on the weekend of the 11/12th. I need to trim the rebellious raspberry bushes and trees. I've always sort of avoided the back lawn and now realize I need to approach it in sections as not to overwhealm myself. Gee, sounds similar to my weightloss plan.

I dropped in at Walmart yesterday to pick up lawnmower oil and guess at a new filter and I noticed all the neat garden stuff. I don't mean plants I mean decorations. I would like to create a bit of a backyard oasis. It's been pretty neglected with the exception of mowing so it will take some hard work on my part (it's a big backyard) but there will be a sense of accomplishment and probably some muscle work as well.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change the filter on the lawnmower. I really need to mow the front lawn tonight as rain is forecasted for the next few days and over the weekend, and I don't want to deal with jungle lawn by the end of next week. Filter will have to wait for all knowledgeable Dad, who is coming in town this weekend. This way if he breaks it then he can buy me a new lawnmower...I have a plan. However, neighbours will be treated to the puff of whatever stuff comes out of the lawnmower when you fire it up.

Those darn Diamond Shreddies commercials have got me. I haven't actually seen any of the commercials in their entirety but I've seen bill boards and that got me thinking of Shreddies. So I also picked up a box of those last night. Really those ads are ingenious.
Have a great day everybody!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm completely clueless when it comes to gardening! I don't even have a clue where to start. But so many people find it relaxing and soothing so maybe I should pick it up...hmmm
Shreddies...ahh shreddies I love those little things....especially when they are topped with SUGAR!

runny_yolk said...

I am the world's worst gardener. And I want to try this summer... it might not be pretty...

Come visit me at my new site, where I am actually posting again. I'm on a local food diet. I hope you like it!
http://www.eatlocalmanitoba.com