Sunday, May 20, 2007

The pressures of weight loss

First of all a shout out to my friend Duenneschen, I want to tell you my friend that as your friend I don't care if you gain or fall off the wagon. What's important to me is to know your happy and appreciate yourself for being yourself. Follow a plan or don't follow a plan. I think listening to yourself (as you said) is the best idea.

I think a key to this weightloss thing is not to compare yourself to anyone else. This isn't a race and how long it takes doesn't matter. What's important is learning the lessons of being healthy along the way. Developing better habits that can sustain us for the rest of our lives.

We all strive for perfection, whether it be an on food day, an abundance of activity or a loss on the scale. What is perfect? I think as humans we are flawed no matter what, I don't think that's a bad thing. Our flaws are what makes us human and different from each other. It's what gives us stories and inspiration, it gives us drive and appreciation.

When you feel alone in this battle, you're not. There are millions of us thinking the same thing everyday. Please listen to your head and your heart, not the 16 billion diet books. Find what works best for you and you alone. You don't need anyone's approval.

It breaks my heart to read of people who think themselves failures because the scale goes up. When my scale goes up I consider that life and it's up for that moment. The next hour or day is a whole different story. Heck if you're female that will fluctuate all the time thanks to hormones.

If the scale gives you grief, get rid of it. Nothing should torture you as you focus on being a healthier person. Use other measures - the fit of your clothes or measurements. The scales doesn't know all.

I don't know all your names or all of your stories, just what you want to post. I tell you this - I believe in every single one of you. You've been brave to share your challenges and victories with a world of other people. You have touched a chord with a mulitude of other people who've taken this challenge of weight loss on. You are inspiration whether your up or down.

Take a break if you need to, we'll be here when you come back.
If you need a kick in the ass, we'll be here.
If you need an encouraging word, we'll be here.
If you need someone to jump up and down on your success, we'll be here.
If you need to vent, we'll be here.

You are not alone.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Vielen, vielen Dank!

I really appreciate it.

katieo said...

Thanks cowgirl! Today i will be thinking about "everyone else" going through this process too!

hey, I tagged you for a meme. Feel free to participate, feel free to decline. I know they can feel a little chain letter-ish but just wanted to let you know- details on my blog.

The Glitterati said...

This was really beautiful, thanks for the read!

Marathon Someday said...

Amen! ((applause))