Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I like a strength workout!

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford1893-1979, Actress and Producer


I think I've found a strength workout I like, this has never happened to me before. I typically think of strength workouts as a necessary evil. I don't enjoy them, I do it a few times and then stop. I'm much better with cardio workouts but am conscious that muscles are equally important.

I had heard about this DVD called Ripped: Slim and Lean by Jari Love. I believe she's Calgarian but the dvd is available all over the place and has had some good write ups. It works your whole body. At the start of each section or track (as they call it). There's a demonstration of the correct way to do it and then it's high number of reps for whatever muscle group but it's not boring she switches slow with faster and mini reps that you're constantly engaged in what you're doing. Then you do little stretch for that muscle and on to the next track. Jari is very motivational without being irritating. The music helps with the counts and I think I love this workout. I'm actually looking forward to doing it again on Wednesday. Egads what a breakthrough! I did this workout with 3lb weights because I haven't done a weight workout for a long time. I skipped a few tracks because I didn't have my step out or yoga mat and I wanted to keep up the momentum. So I did about 45min out of 60min. For Wednesday I'll be better prepared and upgrade to 5lbs. I never watch exercise dvds before I do them I just jump in. Today I can feel the effects of the lunges and squats but I know I need to challeng upper body a bit more.

Another idea came to me to make a room in my basement sort of my workout room so I don't have to drag things out and but them away everytime I want to work out. I'll need to pick up a cheapy dvd player and I'd like to put up some sort of mirror especially for the weight workouts. This room is technically a bar (My Dad actually built a bar down there so I'll need to give this a bit of thought. For now the living room will be my "gym".

I also came to the conclusion I need a toaster oven and a slow cooker (technically I have a slow cooker but my last memories of it being used was when I was 7 so time for an upgrade). I think I'll use my airmiles on them since I rarely fly and when I do I get seat sales. I made the Chili pork burgers last night and you were to broil them or bbq them. I didn't want to fire up the oven for two burgers and I don't have a bbq so I used a grill pan on the stove. I had one minus the bun with asperagus and cherry tomatoes. It was yummy. There are still two in the freezer and I'd like to broil them so perhaps I'll be ordering these kitchen appliance today. I stayed on points yesterday the only thing lacking was not enough water.

On the txt boy front (the ex I talked about yesterday) I threw out that we could go to dinner some time as friends (I get a little frustrated with the txt msg conversations and it would be nice to see some expression) and there was a time I enjoyed talking to him. He said that sounded good so then I said O.k you pick when (he travels a lot apparently for his work) and I'll pick where. He responded with sounds good. I'm not going to hold my breath that he actually comes up with a date, he was never good at that. Ball is now in his court and I will continue to be my fabulous self and go on with my pursuits.

Have a super day everybody!

1 comment:

The Glitterati said...

Hurray for finding a good workout vid! I think the idea of turning your basement into a gym is GREAT. I mean, people have home offices that they reserve for work, why not the same idea for exercise if you've got the space?

Oh, how I miss my toaster oven! (Well, technically my MOM's toaster oven...) It was so easy to roast up anything quickly. Little strips of bell pepper brushed with some olive oil, sweet potato fries, chicken, cheese toast... I am totally getting one when I move out of our crappy crap crap appartment. Haven't done much crock potting (crock pottery?) but I'm very intrigued about the soup / chili possibilities.

Weird about the random ex-text... maybe it'll be an interesting night out! Keep us posted! :)