Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Thinking about goals and reading books

In the past I've been quick to come up with goals around the start of a new year.

The problem with that is goals need thought and a plan.

I find myself facing a new year with getting to goal weight still on the list. While at my Dad's I've been reading and re-reading some books to prepare myself to get this done. I thought I'd share a few with you. As I'm blogging with an app and have lousy inserting picture capabilities I've included Amazon links.

Foodaholics by Irene Rumbaum- Keller

Interesting no nonsense advice, not a diet plan but good exercises to make you think about where you've been and where you're going. I enjoyed it as it was a good refresher.

Weight Loss Boss by David Kirschhoff

I'm a little biased on this one as it's written by the CEO of Weight Watchers but it's not a Weight Watchers book. This was a re-read for me and what I love about this book is the features on real people at the end of each chapter, the tale of taking longer to get to goal (like me) and the other books it's turned me on to.

Nudge by Thaler and Sustain

Just started this one based on reading Weight Loss Boss. It's about behavioral science (in a very readable way) and how we make choices.

Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink

Love this book and it has some funny moments as well. It's all about how we are pretty bad at eyeing portions. They do these great experiments like a re-fillable soup bowl to show how we can mindlessly eat and severely underestimate what we've consumed. Also found this one via Mr. Kirchhoff.

The End of Overeating by David Kessler

Also found via Mr. Kirchhoff. This book talks about how we respond to salt, sugar and fat = hyper palability. If those three things are combined look out it's nirvana to our taste buds and nutritional disaster. It's very eye opening as to how products are designed to suck us in. I need to re-read this one.

If you do have down time this Christmas and need a book to read check theses out.

Hope your Wednesday is awesome.

Hugs!!!

2 comments:

Enz said...

I loved The End of Overeating, but I think It Starts With Food does a much better job at explaining how hyper-palatability affects our hormones, appetites etc.

Anonymous said...

Awesome list! Thanks for sharing. Needed some suggestions because I'm making a list of books to read in 2013!