Thursday, February 12, 2009

Back from the North

Well my overnight stay at camp went really well. I worked from 7am to 8pm but everywhere I went people were happy to see me. It's a bit like being a rock star.

The food was awesome (not necessarily healthy).
The room while a fair distance from camp, if you miss the bus you need to find someone to drive you, was great. Double bed, own bathroom with shower, desk with internet plug in, flat screen tv with Telus cable tv.

I didn't check in until 9pm and by then I was wicked over-tired, took me forever to fall asleep. I think I hit the deepest sleep 20min before I had to get up. There was construction near by so I could hear the faint beep, beep, beep of trucks backing up throughout the night.
Next time I need to remember ear plugs and a water bottle.

In the morning it was freaking freezing, I'm estimating -30 something with wind.

Plane ride home was fine.

Got to the office and it was a bit frustrating. I've got a lot to do but I can't start anything because I'm missing info. I got a bit irritated as many of my coworkers are doing offer letters for an area they don't understand. What irritated me was when some of them were judging the process that this area uses.

I flashed back to my start date when they were all very clear that I reported to a different area and I always got the feeling they considered their area to be superior. I think that's bunk, no area is better than the other. Quite frankly I prefer my area, I'm a bit more self reliant and keep my hands on project longer which I prefer.

I was probably a little sensitive to it due to being fairly tired.

Though recruiting has slowed down, one of my hiring managers at site was offering me work to do. He's rather particular so I was honored that he would offer that to me. I told my boss about it and she said "You're not looking for a job". Which I took as encouraging, as no one has told me about my future with the company now that the division I originally supported as ceased to exist. My colleague at site wanted to clone me.

I cancelled trainer this evening as I'm exhausted. I'm hoping to see him next week on Wed and Fri. Mon is a holiday so I'm looking forward to a long weekend.

Alright guys, talk to you later.

No comments: