Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Anything you set your mind to

 I posted the above picture in August on Facebook with a statement along the lines of "You can do anything  you set your mind to"

I posted this picture yesterday and on Facebook on Sunday with the statement "Mission Accomplished, you can do anything you set your mind to". 

For 90% of the Tinkerbell Half my shins hurt, my right knee was angry but I never for a moment thought about giving up. I just ticked off the miles in my head. After I reached each mile marker I would chant the next marker in my head. Factoring in that my training fell apart in October, it was will and determination that made me cross that finish line. 

This got me thinking today about this whole weight loss thing. If I can complete a half with little training and a whole of will and determination why doesn't that work the same for weight loss.

I brought the medals to work today and I was showing them to one co-worker who just thought the whole idea of doing a 10K and then a Half the next day was a little crazy. I had a wee aha moment. I told her that for my whole life I've never felt good enough and felt that people often underestimate me. I told her that crossing that finish line and having that medal around your neck feels like you shouting to the world "I am a force to be reckoned with".

Somewhere past mile 8 when shins, knee and feet were not happy I realized I'm bound and determined to get the Glass Slipper Challenge medal and do Dopey in 2015.  

If I put the same focus of one foot in front of the other to staying on plan and taking each meal at a time. Making activity a priority I will be successful.

It's stopping the falling off the plan, sort of following the plan, abandoning the plan and treating this like a marathon not a sprint. I saw my official time for the half and it was 10 min slower then my last one reflective of lack of preparation - falling off the plan.

I'm following the plan from now on that's WW and training plans.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Enough. I can do anything I set my mind to. 

No comments: