Saturday, August 15, 2015

Not dead, just busy

Well Hello,
Since I last dropped by a few things have dramatically changed.

The major thing I've been seconded to the Edmonton office for the next 3 months. Yeah.....

It happened ridiculously fast I was told/asked well more told to go on Tuesday Aug 4th and started in the Edmonton office on August 10th.

I had been to that office a few times. I really like the people and to be back in a more operational environment for a while is a nice change.

I opted to take my own vehicle. I didn't want to fly and get a new rental every week. There was an option to use a company vehicle but they're massive beasts. Plus with my own vehicle I have a bit more flexibility in going back and forth.

I had very few kilometers on my 2 year old Escape so I figured it deserved to be driven more. Driving more is very new for me. I didn't get my license till I was 25 and bought my first vehicle 2 years ago. I pretty much drove Dad's car and rentals. Yeah...but I love my Escape so this week we did the 3+ hour drive to Edmonton, drove from the hotel to the office every day (transit is not an option) and drove the 3+ hours home on Friday afternoon.

Tomorrow morning I drive back to Edmonton. I still have another week in a hotel until they can provide me with an apartment.

I packed my Thrive stuff and had my morning smoothie. I even picked up a scale to take with me so I could still do my daily weigh ins. Yes the plus of driving is I can pack a lot of stuff.  I pretty much moved my whole Calgary office as my Star Wars stuff goes where I go.

I actually packed my lunch. I found microwavable options for lunch (Chunky Soup and Chili) which I can store in hotel room, I got some mini packs of Sun Chips and some mini oreos.

The kitchen at work has a microwave and an espresso machine. So I brought the Keurig Mini, which I used to have in my office back when I was at site, and I brought a kettle with me. No kettle in the kitchen but I had them talking about toaster oven last week.

I did check out the GoodLife in Sherwood Park but the times of their classes are different then my usual GoodLife so that meant tweaking the training schedule.

Where the office is considered Edmonton but Sherwood Park is closer so this where we usually stay when going to that office and I quite like the area. Years ago I went to a yoga retreat there.

When I drove up last Sunday I went to Millennium Place in Sherwood Park to check out the indoor track. It was a disappointment as it's pretty much a circle with an incline part. So I don't think I'll be getting a membership there. It will be GoodLife, outside and the hotel treadmill while I'm in hotel.

Last week I brought food with me in an insulated bag with an ice pack. I left the ice pack in the hotel fridge freezer - dang it.

This week I'll wait till I get to Sherwood Park to get Fresh food lunch supplies. I plan to go to Costco when I get there tomorrow as I'm told that Costco isn't ridiculously busy.

I do plan on driving back every weekend as I still have my house. This secondment has put a massive wrinkle in my plans for my Dad's house and delayed that project. I really want to come every week to got to my Weightwatchers meeting. I really like my leader and my WW peeps.

I was actually down today, it was .4 but I'll take it after eating out for a week. I became quite fond of the Baja Bowls at Taco Del Mar but the shredded beef one is 12 points. I need to really plan steps. In the Calgary office I can pretty much nail 10000 steps a day with the walk to an from the train station and just running around getting lunch.

I changed my flight arrangements for the Dumbo Double Dare to flying from Edmonton as it just seemed complicated getting back to Calgary mid week to get on a flight. There's still a few weeks till I leave for L.A.

I find myself far more sedentary with driving everywhere. The closest food options to the Edmonton office are a 20 minute drive. My goal for this week is to get outside or the gym after work to get those steps in.

Now you are updated on me, on to my week 2 adventure in Edmonton. I will be back.

No comments: